Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day might be a Hallmark holiday, but it is a good reminder to take time to do something special for the people we love. I wanted to do something to acknowledge the day and make it special for the kids. Leah had a party at school and I didn’t want Caleb and Alissa to miss out so we did some celebrating too. I did get up the courage to take all three kids to Walmart. I wanted to let Leah pick out her Valentine cards for all her classmates. Caleb had to pick out some too. Leah picked princesses and Caleb picked spiderman.

I decided that we would make heart shaped sugar cookies so that Leah could take some for school and all the rest of us could enjoy them as well. Rod loves sugar cookies so I make everyone happy by making a bunch of sugar cookies. Part of the fun of it all, was to let the kids help. Leah especially loves to help make cookies and Caleb enjoyed helping this time too. He did falloff the chair and I was worried he broke his arm. It turned out that he just ended up with a terrible bruise across his arm. We baked the cookies on Tuesday evening after we got home from Leah’s dance class, so she has her dance leotard on.






The next day we iced the cookies. Both Leah and Caleb were so excited to ice them. Caleb is all about icing one and then eating it. He would much rather just eat them! Typical guy. I think that he iced a total of two cookies.


Thursday was Leah’s valentine’s party at school. She was so excited and had a great time. She was so happy to show me all her mail (her cards from her classmates). She brought a ton of candy and treats home and I don’t even want to know what she ate there. She hardly ate any lunch; I am sure because of what she ate during school. Caleb, Alissa and I want to story time at the Library on Thursday while Leah was at school. The leader asked all the kids what their favorite part of Valentine’s Day was. Caleb shouted out that he made heart cookies. The leader didn’t respond to him directly because at least 10 other kids were yelling out something too. However, Caleb just kept shouting over and over that he made heart cookies. The leader went on to start reading one of the books and I had to ask Caleb to be quiet. Caleb practically started crying that the leader didn’t listen to him. He kept saying that he wanted to tell her about heart cookies. I had to calm him down and tell him that he could tell after the story time was over. He finally calmed down, but was still disappointed and a little grumpy during the rest of story time.

Alissa didn’t get to join in on all the valentine fun, but she is enjoying eating the cookies and I got each of them some special valentine candy for tomorrow. I got Alissa her favorite, lollipops!

No comments:

Post a Comment