Friday, August 28, 2009

Summer Ends - Kindergarten Begins

Sorry to anyone who read this blog post earlier before it was ready to be posted. I added lots more pictures and more info so it's worth checking out again.

It's hard to believe that today was the official first day of Kindergarten for Leah. Lucky for me it was also visit your classroom/meet the teacher day. Before I go into the first day of school, I want to talk about the week.

Since it was the last week before starting school, I want to fit in a few fun special things. One of the things that we did was a picnic at the park. The kids think it's great fun when we picnic and we hadn't done much picnicking this summer. We had a beautiful day. We ate a packed lunch on a blanket and had plenty of play time. We also went on a short bear hunt (aka hike) and went to throw rocks in the small creek running throughout the park.


Peanut Butter sandwiches and chips - doesn't get much better than that!




On the playground!



At the creek


The Bear Hunt!

I also set the pool up since the weather was hot and humid part of the week.






Today has really been a day I have been dreading all summer. Leah's first day of kindergarten. She was very excited to go and I of course tried to act very excited too. The good news is that her teacher seems very nice and approachable. I was hoping that Leah would get a sweet teacher since she does best with approachable people. The teacher had a little goodie bag waiting for each of the kids and Leah was very excited to get some special treats (stickers, erasers, suckers, fruit snacks). The teacher talked only a few moments and had us fill out some more paper work. Leah spent the rest of the time there looking around the classroom. One of her friends from dance class is in her kindergarten class. Leah knows her pretty well since she was a her birthday party and has been to our house on a play date. I was glad to see that Leah will at least have a familiar face in class. We then toured the bathroom, art/music room and gym.



Leah with her backpack full of her school supplies. It was heavy and I ended up carrying it!


We are getting ready to head out the door!

Leah in her classroom. She had to put all her school supplies away.


Leah standing at her classroom door.

After it was all said and done, Leah was most excited to leave and go back to Cora and Ava's house. We had dropped of Caleb and Alissa at their house so that Leah and I could go to kindergarten together. Leah wanted to make sure she had plenty of time to play with her friends. I'll think she'll have a good time at school on Monday!

I am also feeling much better since I have talked to another lady who has a son in first grade. She asked me who Leah's teacher for Kindergarten is when I told her she was so excited and said that's who her son had. He loved her. She also told me that before her son went to Kindergarten that she was told by several people that Leah's teacher, Ms. O'Brien was the best teacher to have. I hope Leah has a great year with her!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like she will have a great year. It is hard at first when they leave, but then you realize how good it is for the both of you.

    Tell Leah we love her and good luck Monday!

    ReplyDelete