Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Treasured Memories

This past week has been really hard week for me. My Grandma passed away on August 12th. My Grandma was like a second mother to me and losing her has been very difficult. I take great comfort that she is now in heaven and she was ready to go. She had a very difficult last few months in the nursing home and dealing with complications from her sugar diabetes and dialysis. I am thankful for the time I did have with her and the impact that she had on my life. I wrote a memorial speech to read at her funeral and I thought that I would post it here.


It is so true that people we are close to have an impact in making us the people we are today. For me, Gram played a big role. Gram and Pop both taught me to have confidence in myself. She always made sure that I knew how proud she was of me. She reminded me and encouraged me that I could do anything that I set my mind to accomplish. Gram took responsibility for me when mom got very ill. At that point she became a second mother to me. We talked about everything. She took me shopping, she taught me how to cook. I'll tell you what, that lady was a good cook! I'll never forget how wonderful her food was on every holiday we spent around her table. Even though, my family could never seem to make it there on time. Gram also shopped with me for all the items to go into my first apartment, she shopped with with me for my wedding dress and she helped me pick out things for my first baby.
Growing up Gram and Pop always took me to the monthly cousin dinners. They were like mini family reunions. I loved going to those and being the only child in the group. Everyone made me feel so special. When I broke my leg in high school, it was Gram who took me to her house to stay so that she took care of me.

Gram wrote some letters to give out upon her death. In mine she told me that she wished that she could have done more for me. Gram, I want you to know that you did more than enough for me. Thank you for all those special over night visits. To me it was part of the birthday gift to get to spend the night for our birthday. I thank you for your listening ear. How many hours did you spend on the phone with me when I called every night because I was so lonely in my college dorm or in my first apartment. Looking back only wonderful happy memories remain. I can think of nothing else you could have done. Thank you for being a woman with lots of spunk and determination. I hope in my old age I can reflect the same fire. I thank God for blessing me with a wonderful Gram. We'll all miss you!



Gram and Mom

Pop and Gram

Becky and Gram

Alissa and Gram

Many of the Great Grandchildren and Gram at Christmas 2008

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tribute. I wish I had been there to hear it. Love you!

    PS: Is that the picture you were talking about on the phone? I have found my star stickers for the book Matt brought home. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete